Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 4

John began his chemo on Friday morning...he slept through most of the treatment.  Today he is very sick to his stomach and feeling over all not so good.  The staff here are very attentive and kind.  The edema is still a problem and they have added a blood thinner to prevent a blood clot.  Dr. Vazquez  assures us that as the tumors shrink he will feel better.  They are also coming along side this treatment with immune building treatments and  nutritional supplements by IV.

Usually on News Years Eve, we gather at our home in Brevard, NC, have a special dinner and fire in the fire place.  Some time during the evening we gather in the fireplace room, open our stockings (which did not get hung this year) and then each person shares their thoughts about their year...good and bad...and what they hope to accomplish in the new year. Some of  our children and their children are gathering at the house
and carrying on this tradition which was passed to me by my parents.

If I was with them, my thoughts would be:

This has been the most difficult year of my life...my father in-law passed away in January, my mother in April, John and I have faced some very difficult challenges personally and physically. Life has been difficult. I read recently that, Corrie ten Booms sister said,"No pit is so deep that He is not deeper still"  I am experiencing this at this very moment...His love is a transforming love, and I am confident He will see us to the end.
This has also been one of the best year of my life...We have spent many days with our wonderful children and our grandchildren. My relationship with my beautiful sisters and sister in love, has grown.   God has provided our every need.  I  watched as our grandson Garrett professed Christ publicly and was their for his Baptism.(He is 9)  I watched as our 9 th grandchild came into this world. I am growing, Christ is renewing me and making me whole.
My prayer for the new year???

"Sovereign Lord, according to Your promise, You work All things together for my good when I love You and respond to Your call and purpose for my life. Help me learn to love and obey You so I can experience Your best in ALL things.  And help me trust You when I don't understand all you allow to come my way.  Open my mind to understand Your sovereignty." Amen  (Gripped By The Greatness of God,  James MacDonald)

I know John would share if he was feeling better...but he does send his love and wishes you, as do I for
A BLESSED NEW YEAR,
Mary (for us both)

2 comments:

  1. i was able to talk to mom and dad today for just a minuet. I was happy to hear that dads voice sounded stronger. I am grateful for the small ways that his body is healing. This will lead to the big changes! Love you momma and daddy. Jenn Rhea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma and Dad,
    Lets just pretend we are all by the fire and the stockings are overflowing with toothbrushes, melted candy and liquified chap stick, I would start by saying that this has been by FAR the hardest year We have lived through and then I would smile through my tears and say "but we lived through it" We have lost papaw, meme, loosing naomi, gaining aria, my gallbladder surgery, starting the adoption process, celebrating 3 years of marriage, our first whole family beach vacation, watching dad battle cancer, lots of traditions put on hold and trying with everything in us to keep some going, watching Miles learn to walk, watching Will discover new things and the joy they bring to us... I know there is more but these came first to my head... This year has been full of sorrow, pain and tears mixed with blessings, laughter, deeper relationships and deeper walks, as hard as it has been I am thankful. I know he was the one that saw us through it and he will see us through this next year and all the ups and downs! I really miss you guys and I can't wait to be together again! Get well Daddy-O and get some rest Momma, I love you deeply <3 Heather

    ReplyDelete