Friday, July 13, 2012

The Rest of the Story

The Rest of the Story

The second round of chemo has been very difficult for John. From Thursday, June 28th, when I first arrived in Brevard, NC, until July 5th, when I went to visit my grands in Atlanta, Ga, John's condition was less than favorable.

Our brother, Gene, came on Friday evening and stayed with us until John had the first day of chemo at the Brevard Infusion Center on Monday. On Tuesday morning John and I went to St. Joes's Hospital in Asheville, NC. July the 4th was an exciting day with visits from dear friends from Spartanburg, SC, and until early Thrusday AM, John's treatment had gone well. However, as the day progressed and by the time John and Mary's beautiful daughters and sister-in-love (Miki) arrived, he had developed a psychosis from one of the chemo drugs. Heather, Jennifer, Jonlyn, and Lynn (Mary's sister) were incredible in their efforts to support and encourage John during this time. Mary was never more than a call away, and made decisions continuously. The girls were either with their father or arranged dear friends to assist until he was dismissed from the hospital on Saturday and beyond.

Due to much confusion, John contacted his pastor who recommended that John visit his Christian surgeon before meeting with the oncologist on Wednesday, July 11th. Dr. Bridges was most helpful in calming and preparing John for his upcoming meeting with the oncologist. I met Jonlyn and John at the Infusion Center with the understanding that we would meet with John's oncologist. Despite Jonlyn's best efforts and a 30 minute wait, we were all disappointed not to see Dr. Chan.

As you know, John as been here with me in Greenville, SC since Wednesday, and will return home tonight.

Mary will be home on July 21st. John has an appointment with the oncologist on July 18th, but will not make any decisions on future treatments until he and Mary can have prayerful time together after her return.

Prayerfully,
Peggy

P.S. Words from John

I feel your prayers constantly and know you are holding me up to the Father. I see your prayers being answered continuously. I am very grateful because this continues to be a fiery trial, but I do not find it strange.

When I am weak, He is strong, and enables me to glory in my infirmities. It is a grand adventure.

Love and prayers,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment